Chef John's Chicken Spaghetti
Ingredients2 h 25 m servings 850
- Place chicken in a pot and pour marinara sauce on top. Add water and anchovies. Bring to a simmer, uncovered, over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer, without stirring, for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a bowl using tongs. Let cool to the touch.
- Meanwhile, bring sauce to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cook, skimming off the fat from the surface, until sauce is reduced by at least half, 20 to 35 minutes.
- Tear off chicken meat by hand and transfer to a bowl, breaking the pieces into your desired size.
- Add the chicken, red pepper flakes, and salt to the reduced sauce. Cook and stir until chicken is heated through, about 2 minutes. Keep on low heat while you cook the pasta.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook spaghetti in the boiling water according to package instructions, reducing time by 1 minute, about 11 minutes. Drain and return to the pot; reduce heat to low.
- Add the chicken sauce and Pecorino Romano to the pasta. Sprinkle in basil and add butter. Stir until butter melts, about 1 minute. Turn off the heat and add remaining Pecorino Romano cheese. Cover and let sit for 1 minute. Stir and serve.
- Chef's Notes:
- I cook only 4 ounces, or 1 portion, of pasta in the video, but this recipe makes enough sauce for 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of pasta.
- If you want a thicker sauce, simply change the ratio of sauce to water when you start the recipe. You can also reduce it longer, but you knew that.
- You can substitute chicken broth for the water and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for the Pecorino Romano.
- This is also a great make-ahead meal, as you can prep your sauce one day, and then assemble the finished dish at a later date.
Per Serving: 850 calories; 54.4 53.8 33.7 106 1162 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
This is soooo good. I've made it two times now and I just can't get enough. The chicken is so tender and just makes a really flavorful sauce. I like the sauce a bit thicker than Chef John dem...
Wonderful! I followed the recipe as written, and it turned out fabulous. I think it's even better the next day. The leftover sauce also freezes well.
I followed the recipe exactly. I thought it was delicious, but my wife and children did not like it as much as I did. I think what threw them off is that they were expecting a traditional spaghe...