Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients45 m servings 524 cals
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Combine chicken pieces, soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, five-spice powder, white pepper, salt, and cayenne pepper in a large bowl. Let marinate for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Whisk egg in a small bowl until smooth. Pour tempura batter mix into a second small bowl. Dip chicken pieces one at a time into the egg, then dredge in tempura batter mix, shaking off any excess. Lower chicken pieces carefully into the hot oil in batches. Fry until chicken is golden brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Serve chicken sprinkled with basil leaves, green onions, white pepper, and salt.
- Cook's Notes:
- Boneless chicken breast works well instead of chicken thighs.
- You can also use sweet potato flour instead of tempura batter mix.
- Editor's Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 524 calories; 35.5 g fat; 14.3 g carbohydrates; 35.8 g protein; 163 mg cholesterol; 1057 mg sodium. Full nutrition