Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients41 m servings 263
Original recipe yields 3 servings (3 bamboo skewers (9 dango))
- Combine tofu and rice flour in a bowl; mix together by hand until smooth and slightly elastic. Pull dough thinly to test consistency; if it feels like your earlobe, it's ready. Add water or more rice flour as needed.
- Separate dough into 3 equal parts. Add red food coloring to 1 portion; mix by hand to evenly distribute the color. Note that color will intensify once dango are boiled. Mix another portion of dough with green tea powder; leave the last portion white.
- Separate each portion of the dough into 3 equal parts; roll into balls to make the dango.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Drop dango into the pot and boil until they float to the top, 3 to 5 minutes. Continue boiling for 2 minutes more.
- Remove dango with a slotted spoon and place into a bowl of cold or room-temperature water for 1 minute until just warm to the touch. Thread them through skewers in order of your liking. The traditional order is green, white, and pink.
- Cook's Notes:
- You can replace the green tea powder with 4 drops of green food coloring or a mixture of 2 yellow drops and 2 blue drops. Other colors of dye may be used for differently colored dango. This is only one way of making plain dango.
- If you wish, you may fry them until slightly browned and cover in sugar or another sweetener. (This is usually done with white dango only.)
Per Serving: 263 calories; 3.8 45 10.9 0 40 Full nutrition