Philly Cheese Steak Dip
Ingredients1 h 23 m servings 143
- Slice steak into thick pieces. Season generously on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over high heat until smoking. Add steak slices and sear until bottoms are browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip over and reduce heat to medium. Cook until juices appear on the tops, 3 to 4 minutes more. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Add diced onion, a big pinch of salt, and butter to the meat juices in the pan. Cook and stir over medium heat, scraping up the browned bits, until onions start to soften, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Dice up the red bell pepper, green bell pepper, pepperoncini, pickled red peppers, and jalapenos until you have 1 1/2 to 2 cups. Add to the onions; cook and stir until starting to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Chop steak into small pieces. Place back into the bowl with the accumulated meat juices. Add the onion-pepper mixture and cream cheese. Grate in the provolone cheese, saving a little for the top. Drizzle in Worcestershire sauce and sprinkle in cayenne pepper. Mix dip thoroughly.
- Transfer 1/2 of the dip into a small baking dish. Smooth the top with a fork. Place baking dish on top of a sheet pan. Sprinkle the remaining provolone cheese on top. Save the other 1/2 to bake fresh for your guests.
- Bake in the preheated oven until dip is bubbling and heated through, 20 to 25 minutes. Broil until top is browned, about 1 minute more. Repeat with the second batch of dip.
- Chef's Notes:
- You can chop the steak up raw, and then brown it, or brown pieces of steak, and then chop it up, as I did here. Or, if you really want to save some time, you could brown up some ground beef, which should also work pretty well in this.
- Use any mix of sweet, hot, and/or pickled peppers you prefer.
- For a vegetarian version, you could do this with well-browned mushrooms, which I'm guessing would be very tasty.
- Editor's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of peppers. The actual amount of peppers consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 143 calories; 11.2 3.3 7.3 36 267 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
Have never rated anything on this site-until this dip. It’s great. We added mushrooms and used the frozen steak slices to save time/$. Tasted just like a philly sandwich using soft pretzels to d...
I made this exactly as written, and there was rave reviews from the whole family. Even my picky kids loved it. My husband raved about this and said it would be perfect for the superbowl too. Tha...
Was a hit for our Super Bowl gathering. Lots of steps and prep time on my opinion but worth the effort when you want to make something special.
Unfortunately I had to change this recipe right out of the gate. Only because I thought I had some of the ingredients at home and actually did not. I made as directed without some of the peppers...