Easy Cheese Souffles
Ingredients32 m servings 439
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Brush butter on the bottom and up the sides of two 5 1/2-ounce ramekins. Scoop in some sugar; rotate ramekins to coat while pouring most of the sugar back into its container. Place ramekins on a shallow baking pan.
- Separate eggs between 2 bowls. Add sugar, flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, vanilla extract, lemon zest, cream cheese, and Cheddar cheese to the yolks. Mix the souffle base with a spatula until sugar and flour disappear.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt over the room-temperature egg whites. Beat with a whisk until soft peaks form; peaks should hold their shape but not be stiff or dry. Stir and fold 1/2 of the egg whites into the souffle base until combined. Gently fold the rest of the egg whites into the batter.
- Fill ramekins up to the lip with the batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven until puffed and browned, about 12 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Chef's Notes:
- Reduce cooking time by 1 minute for a runny souffle, which is more traditionally French.
- As I mentioned in the video, despite being a very easy recipe, you will probably have to practice a few times to lock in the perfect cooking time. Variables like the oven type, ramekin size, and batter temperature will all affect the time.
- I love a nice sharp, aged Cheddar, but Gruyere, Gouda, and Comte would all be wonderful in this.
Per Serving: 439 calories; 32.7 23.4 13.7 267 721 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 8
Great recipe! I followed it exactly and it turned out just right. I had to cook them for 16 minutes, so check what works with your own oven. The centre needs to be set. I think this recipe w...
I just made this because I had never made Souffles before and had everything to make this with. WOW ! they turned out perfect and I just LOVE the flavor. Thanks again John for another great r...
I've made a few chef John recipes and haven't failed yet. I've never made souffes before, but this recipe sounded simple so i gave it a try. They turned out pretty good, i understand the "textur...
Super easy, very tasty, great texture! I didn't have lemon but didn't miss it. The only alteration is make would be much less vanilla. It was way too overpowering.
Only thing I didn't add was the lemon zest due to not having lemons and the souffles still came out great!