Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 25 m servings 647
Original recipe yields 6 servings (3 3x5-inch pies)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Lightly flour a work surface. Roll each crust out to about 1/8-inch thick. Cut dough to fit three 3x5-inch loaf pans. Push dough into tins and up the edges using your fingertips. Roll out remaining dough for use as top crusts and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add potatoes, celery, onion, and carrot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add beef and cook until browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Add peas, corn, and ale; cook and stir until reduced by a bit more than half, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour to the vegetable-ale mixture and stir constantly until thick and almost pasty, 1 to 3 minutes. Add stock slowly, stirring constantly. Add ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, tomato bouillon, rosemary, and garlic powder. Reduce heat and simmer until filling mixture reduces to desired thickness and potatoes are cooked through, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and allow filling to cool slightly. Fill crusts with filling. Top with remaining dough and pinch edges to seal. Brush tops of pies with beaten egg wash. Cut 3 slits in the top of each pie for air to escape. Place tins on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- Fresh vegetables may be replaced by frozen.
- Fresh garlic may replace garlic powder.
- For a shepherd's pie version, omit the diced potatoes and add mashed potatoes to the bottom of your pie.
Per Serving: 647 calories; 37.4 51.6 21.8 77 1502 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1