Coconut and Pineapple-Stuffed Pancakes
made it | 0 reviews |
The Jazz Chef
"What is there not to love about a coconut pancake made with coconut milk and fresh pineapple? It's like a breakfast pina colada! For dessert, put a scoop of banana-rum ice cream on top and a little caramel sauce drizzle... It's a great brunch centerpiece, because it's not hard to make, but when people cut into that roasted pineapple slice... Oh my my! Big happiness! Dust with powdered sugar, if you like."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients45 m servings 386 cals
Original recipe yields 8 servings (8 stuffed pancakes)
- Whisk all-purpose flour, wheat flour, ground flax seeds, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl. Make a well in the mixture. Add coconut milk, grated coconut, eggs, and coconut flavoring. Mix batter by hand until thoroughly combined.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat and spray grate with cooking spray.
- Grill pineapple slices until edges are slightly browned, turning occasionally, 3 to 8 minutes. Transfer pineapple to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Heat a nonstick griddle over medium heat, about 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray with cooking spray.
- Pour enough batter onto the griddle to form a 4-inch pancake. Cook for 45 seconds to 1 minute and carefully lay a cooked pineapple slice in the middle. Carefully spoon additional batter on top of the pineapple ring. Cook until pancake is firm around the pineapple, another 1 to 3 minutes. Flip the pancake using a spatula and cook the other side for 1 to 3 minutes more.
- Repeat with remaining batter and pineapple rings.
- Cook's Notes:
- If you want to go fancy, you can add some slices of banana and chopped macadamia nuts on top. These are filling, so 1 is a serving. You can also make the coconut pancakes and omit the pineapple.
- The recipe uses the coco rallado (finely grated coconut in heavy syrup) both as the sweetener and an excellent fiber source. Dried coconut will not work. The grating is wrong and makes the pancakes stringy.
Per Serving: 386 calories; 16.3 g fat; 57.2 g carbohydrates; 7.7 g protein; 46 mg cholesterol; 270 mg sodium. Full nutrition