Vegan Veggie Pot Pie
made it | 0 reviews |
"I was craving pot pie one day, so I threw this vegan version together with what I had on hand. It came out more wonderful than I could have imagined and it's even better the second day. I am not a big fan of complicated recipes, so I tried to keep it as simple as possible. I used a bag of organic frozen veggies to cut down on the work (corn, peas, carrots, green beans)."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 30 m servings 305 cals
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place squash and potatoes on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute until onion is translucent, about 7 minutes. Add flour; mix thoroughly. Cook, stirring constantly to prevent burning, until a thick paste is formed, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour broth into the onion-flour mixture. Whisk vigorously until mixture begins to thicken and comes to a boil, about 7 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, oregano, and thyme. Pour in water; reduce heat to a simmer. Add the baked squash and potatoes; cook over medium heat until fork-tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add frozen vegetables to the broth mixture. Cook until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Pour mixture into a large baking dish. Roll out the pie dough to fit the baking dish and lay it on top; make a few cuts in the dough to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven until filling is bubbling and crust is browned, about 30 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- Make sure to use a pie crust made with vegetable shortening.
- Fresh vegetables would probably work even better. Just make sure they are cooked thoroughly before incorporating into the pie.
- I made one 8-inch pie and an additional 2 individual pies with this recipe (to freeze later).
Per Serving: 305 calories; 14.9 g fat; 39.4 g carbohydrates; 5.4 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 703 mg sodium. Full nutrition