Chef John's Green Chicken Chili
"Make this easier version of chili verde using chicken and a tomatillo-based green salsa instead of roasting and pureeing fresh tomatillos. Note that this is a green chili made with chicken and not a chili made with green chicken. Sorry if this disappoints anyone. You can serve it with sour cream, avocado, cilantro, and corn tortillas or corn bread."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 50 m servings 521
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Season chicken thighs with salt on both sides.
- Transfer 1/2 the chicken to a dry, nonstick skillet over high heat. Cook until browned, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a bowl. Brown the rest of the chicken. Let cool to room temperature before cutting.
- Combine salsa verde, green chilies, garlic, jalapeno, and cilantro in a blender. Blend, starting on low and finishing on high, until sauce is very smooth and bright green.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and transfer back into the bowl. Combine chicken pieces, accumulated juices, and the green sauce into a pot. Season with cumin, chipotle pepper, black pepper, oregano, and salt.
- Rinse out blender with a splash of water and pour into the pot. Mix together and set heat to medium-high. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until chicken is tender, depending on size of chicken pieces, about 1 hour. Stir in kidney beans and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Chef's Notes:
- When selecting green salsas at the supermarket, make sure tomatillos are the first ingredient, followed by onion and chilies.
- If using chicken breasts, only simmer until cooked through, otherwise they will get dry.
- Add some chicken stock for a thinner chili, but be careful with the salt, as many ingredients in this recipe have salt included.
Per Serving: 521 calories; 23.2 31.3 43.4 128 1281 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1