Chennai Chicken Wings
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients45 m servings 190
Original recipe yields 10 servings (4 pounds of wings)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Combine cornstarch and rice flour in a bowl. Add cayenne pepper, paprika, cumin, garam masala, turmeric, black pepper, and salt. Whisk the spicy chicken coating until nicely blended. Set aside.
- Pour rice vinegar into another bowl. Add red onion and sliced ginger. Toss in chives, sambal, and red pepper flakes. Stir the vinegar sauce until well combined.
- Add wings to the spice coating in batches. Flip bowl repeatedly to toss the wings until thoroughly coated. Transfer wings onto nonstick baking sheets. Drizzle vegetable oil on top.
- Bake in the center of the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix grated ginger and 2 tablespoons oil together. Turn wings over and brush the ginger oil on top.
- Continue baking until dry and browned, 15 to 20 minutes more. An instant-read thermometer inserted near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- Flip wings over into the oils and let rest for 3 to 4 minutes. Scrape a fork over the wings to test for crunchiness.
- To enjoy the wings 'wet,' place a portion of the wings into a bowl and spoon in some of the vinegar sauce. Toss until coated. For 'dry'-style, plate the dry wings and simply dip into the sauce.
- Chef's Notes:
- Feel free to use a regular baking sheet that's well greased or lined with foil or a silicone baking mat.
- Garam masala is not hard to find, but here's a homemade version you can whip up.
Per Serving: 190 calories; 12.7 6.3 12.9 38 819 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
had a little trouble with wings sticking to the pan, but very tasty and will do again