Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 20 m servings 451 cals
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Heat oil in a heavy stockpot over medium-high heat. Add chopped onions and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until browned, about 2 minutes. Stir in split peas; cook until peas take on a bit of color, about 1 minute.
- Pour chicken stock into the pot. Add pepper, turmeric, paprika, cayenne, fennel seeds, and cinnamon stick. Bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until peas are tender, about 20 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, prepare meatballs. Mix lamb, minced onion, mint, parsley, and garlic together. Form into walnut-sized meatballs. Drop meatballs into the simmering soup. Cook until no longer pink in the center, about 10 minutes.
- Discard cinnamon stick from the soup. Add basmati rice, parsley, mint, pomegranate molasses, and honey. Cook until rice softens, about 20 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with pomegranate seeds and cream.
- Cook's Notes:
- Add pomegranate seeds to each bowl individually, not to the stockpot, as they will soften rapidly and lose their red color.
- Other herbs you could use instead of parsley or mint: celery leaves, cilantro, chives, or green onion.
- You can substitute or leave out meatballs for a vegetarian option. Use vegetable broth instead of chicken stock.
Per Serving: 451 calories; 22.5 g fat; 45.4 g carbohydrates; 19.1 g protein; 68 mg cholesterol; 741 mg sodium. Full nutrition