Ingredients2 h 5 m servings 546
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease the bottom of a deep-dish pie plate.
- Beat butter, sugar, and egg in a bowl until creamy. Blend in flour to form a dough, using your hands to knead it together at the end.
- Roll pastry out on a lightly floured surface and place into the prepared pie plate so it covers the bottom and the sides.
- Beat eggs and sugar in a bowl using an electric mixer. Beat in vanilla extract. Gradually stir in cold milk until fully incorporated. Pour custard mixture over the pastry base and sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Bake in the preheated oven until custard is set and a sharp knife inserted near the centre comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely before serving, about 1 hour.
- Cook's Note:
- The custard tastes best chilled.
Per Serving: 546 calories; 27.8 64.4 10.2 182 73 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
This pie is absolutely fantastic. I make custard all the time but never made it into a pie. You won't be sorry you made this.
How about, I grew up on egg custard. My Mother made it regularly along with lemon sponge pudding. Both also worked well as pies.
Delicious old-timey baked custard pie. Comfort food. I often use a ready made pie crust and pre-bake the crust for 10 min before adding the custard filling but either way it's good. Be sure and ...