Ingredients2 h 20 m servings 323
- Stir the flour and baking powder together in a bowl; set aside. In a second large bowl, cream the butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in 3 eggs, one at a time, and stir in the vanilla. Gradually beat in the flour mixture to make a soft dough. Divide the dough in half and shape into two balls. Working on a lightly floured surface, roll out each ball to fit two 10 inch pie plates. Line the pie plates with the crust, and refrigerate until needed.
- Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan, and stir in the rice. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Stir in the milk. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Meanwhile, beat the ricotta cheese, 1 1/2 cups sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and 6 eggs together in a mixing bowl until smooth and frothy. Stir in the cooled rice mixture until evenly blended. Pour into the pie shells.
- Bake pies in preheated oven until the filling is set and tops are golden brown, about 90 minutes. Cool on racks.
- Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
Per Serving: 323 calories; 9.2 49.3 11.1 125 182 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 19
The pie was excellent, but the crust burned. Why?
I first want to say that there is no way this recipe takes 30 minutes to prepare...more like 3 hours!! It is still in the oven; it's only been in the oven for an hour and the crust has already b...
My husband and I fell in love with an store bought Italian Rice pie when we lived in NJ. I found this recipe and decided to surprise my husband with it for Easter. It was a hit! I didn't make...
I made this recipe and I had the smae issues with the crust burning. I bought a "pie kit" and used the rim protectors included in the box. But I think it is because of the amount of sugar in t...
Absolutely delicious. I LOVED it. I did add a 1/4 cup more rice to the recipe because I love it in puddings and pies. This pie is just the perfect amount of sweet and I love the smooth, creamy c...
My mom used to bake this every year for Easter. She passed away 25 years ago, and when me and my husband made this Italian Rice Pie the other day, the whole house had that wonderful smell of my ...
I have not finished this recipe yet. The prep time lists 30 minutes. I have been preparing this for over an hour. The rice is still not thickened. If I had known, it would not have been a ch...
Great pie - love that it makes two at once! One question - the ingredients list for the crust calls for 1/4 cup sugar, but the directions refer to 1/2 cup. I found the 1/4 cup to be fine, but ju...
I made this for the first time today, it took a longer to make than on the recipe but well worth the time. Only thing 1 quart of milk is too much espically if you are using that little rice. I c...