Beef Barbacoa (Barbacoa de Res)
made it | 0 reviews |
"Tender beef brisket in a flavorful guajillo sauce with Mexican seasonings. This is the quick pressure cooker version of the traditional recipe from Guadalajara, where the meat is slowly cooked in an underground oven. [Recipe originally submitted to Allrecipes.com.mx]"
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 5 m servings 173 cals
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Place brisket in a stovetop pressure cooker. Add onion, garlic, bay leaves, and salt; cover with water. Close cooker securely and place pressure regulator over vent according to manufacturer's instructions. Heat until steam escapes in a steady flow and makes a whistling sound, about 10 minutes. Adjust temperature until regulator is gently rocking. Cook for 60 minutes.
- Let pressure release naturally according to manufacturer's instructions, 5 to 10 minutes. Unlock lid and remove.
- Remove brisket from the pressure cooker and shred with 2 forks. Strain the cooking liquid, discarding solids. Measure 2 cups for the barbacoa sauce and save the rest for another use.
- Combine guajillo chile peppers and ancho chile peppers in a saucepan. Cover with water, bring to a boil, and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand in the hot water until softened, about 5 minutes. Drain.
- Combine softened chile peppers, vinegar, garlic, cloves, allspice, black pepper, oregano, thyme, cumin, ginger, cinnamon and reserved 2 cups cooking liquid; blend until thick and very smooth.
- Pour sauce into a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat and season with salt. Bring to a soft boil; reduce the heat to low. Stir in shredded beef, coating completely with sauce. Cover pot and cook until flavors combine, at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- Editor's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of barbacoa sauce. The actual amount of sauce consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 173 calories; 5.4 g fat; 6.4 g carbohydrates; 24.2 g protein; 53 mg cholesterol; 1517 mg sodium. Full nutrition