Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients45 m servings 381 cals
Original recipe yields 4 servings (4 sandwiches)
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add bell pepper and onion; cook until very tender, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a separate skillet. Stir in harissa sauce.
- Brush both sides of eggplant slices with remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Add 1/2 of the eggplant slices to the skillet. Cook until browned and tender, about 3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining slices; keep warm.
- Sprinkle Halloumi with remaining 1/8 teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Add 1/2 of the Halloumi to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining slices.
- Layer eggplant slices, bell pepper mixture, and Halloumi on 4 bread slices. Top with remaining bread slices. Spread outsides of sandwiches with butter.
- Transfer 2 sandwiches to the large skillet; cover sandwiches with a plate weighted with cans of food. Cook until heated through and toasted, about 2 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
- Cook's Notes:
- You can substitute red bell pepper for the yellow bell pepper and mayonnaise for butter.
- To keep sodium in check, look for Halloumi with 350 mg sodium or less per ounce. In place of the Halloumi, try tofu. Use 8 slices extra-firm tofu (not silken). Pat dry with paper towels. Season tofu with 1/8 teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Cook tofu in a skillet for 3 minutes per side.
- Find the recipe for Chef John's Harissa Sauce at armagazine.com/chef-johns-harissa-sauce.
Per Serving: 381 calories; 24.4 g fat; 34 g carbohydrates; 8.8 g protein; 31 mg cholesterol; 490 mg sodium. Full nutrition