Homemade Queso Fresco
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients5 h 20 m servings 117
Original recipe yields 10 servings (1 pound)
- Dissolve rennet in the water.
- Pour milk into a heavy pot. Heat slowly to 90 degrees F (32 degrees C), stirring occasionally. Turn off heat and gently stir in the rennet solution.
- Cover pot and let rest in a warm place, at about 90 degrees F (32 degrees C), until the curd forms a thick mass, about 40 minutes. Place your finger or spatula in the curd and gently lift to check for a clean break; it should split along a clean line and not be too soft or milky. Let rest for another 10 minutes if it isn't quite firm.
- Cut curds into 1/4-inch cubes using your finger, a knife, or a spatula. Heat curds and the remaining liquid, or whey, to 110 to 115 degrees F (43 to 46 degrees C), about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle curds into a colander; discard whey or keep for another use. Gently mix salt into the curds using your fingers.
- Line a colander or plastic container with a cheesecloth; add curds and wrap cheesecloth around the top. Place a heavy weight on top, such as a small bowl filled with pie weights or a jar of water. Press for 4 to 6 hours.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Substitute 1/4 rennet tablet with 1/4 liquid rennet if preferred.
- See more photos and get ideas for what to make with your fresh cheese in our article, How to Make Queso Fresco.
Per Serving: 117 calories; 6.3 8.8 6.3 20 1230 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2