Vegan Moroccan Couscous with Raisins and Vegetables
0 made it | 0 reviews |
"A hearty vegetable stew with couscous for a crowd that is naturally vegan. Couscous is the staple food of much of North Africa, where it is often served topped with tender, colorful vegetables, drenched in delicious gravy and spiced with a traditional hot chile sauce called harissa."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 30 m servings 396
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onions and 1/2 of the garlic and cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in cumin, chile powder, cinnamon, turmeric, cloves, coriander, and ginger and cook for a few seconds. Add vegetable stock, tomatoes with their juice, pumpkin, sweet potato, celery, carrot, turnip, and green beans. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until vegetables are just tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in remaining garlic, zucchini, and garbanzo beans. Cook until vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine couscous and raisins in a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Mix well to moisten the couscous. Set aside to soak for 5 minutes.
- Ladle 2 cups of cooking liquid from the vegetable stew over the couscous mixture. Cover and set aside to soak for 10 minutes. Cover stew to keep warm.
- Ladle 1 1/4 cups hot cooking liquid from the vegetables into a bowl. Stir in cilantro, lemon juice, and cumin. Add chile sauce.
- Reheat stew if necessary. Fluff up couscous with a fork and mound on a platter or large bowl. Sprinkle with orange flower water and cinnamon. Ladle some of the vegetable stew over the couscous and serve the rest separately. Serve with the chile sauce mixture on the side.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- Traditionally, the vegetables for couscous are cooked until they are falling apart, but for a fresher result, cook only until the vegetables are tender and beginning to soften, but not mushy.
Per Serving: 396 calories; 7 75.2 11 0 591 Full nutrition