Curry Couscous and Quinoa Pilaf (Vegetarian)
made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients9 h 20 m servings 426 cals
Original recipe yields 12 servings (12 cups)
- Combine vegetable stock with 1 teaspoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; add 1 teaspoon turmeric and 1 teaspoon curry powder. Stir in couscous and remove pan from heat. Cover and let sit until water is absorbed completely, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring water to a boil in a pot and add quinoa. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Cover and let stand for a few minutes if there is liquid left in the pot.
- Fluff couscous with a fork and place in a very large bowl. Mix quinoa into the bowl; allow to cool.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Saute almonds until toasted and golden brown, about 3 minutes. Let cool and add to the couscous and quinoa. Add celery, carrots, garbanzo beans, parsley, raisins, green onions, and preserved lemon. Stir to combine.
- Combine 2/3 cup olive oil, vinegar, honey, 2 tablespoons turmeric, 2 tablespoons curry powder, vegetable soup mix, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a bowl. Whisk together. Toss dressing over the couscous mixture, a little at a time, stirring to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate to let the flavors develop, 8 hours to overnight.
- Cook's Notes:
- You can use chicken stock in place of vegetable stock. You can use dried currants or cranberries in lieu of raisins.
- Feel free to use whole wheat couscous. I find cooking the couscous with a little curry in the stock helps it bloom a little better.
- Curry can be increased in the dressing for a spicier dressing. Substitute preserved lemon with the juice of 1 lemon if desired.
- For a vegan version, substitute margarine for the butter and agave nectar for the honey.
Per Serving: 426 calories; 16.8 g fat; 60.4 g carbohydrates; 9.2 g protein; 3 mg cholesterol; 690 mg sodium. Full nutrition