Best Ever Russian Beef Stroganoff
Ingredients40 m servings 496
- Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons flour with salt and pepper in a bowl. Dredge beef strips in the mixture.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the dredged beef strips; cook and stir until browned, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic; cook until onion is barely tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer the beef and mushroom mixture to a plate.
- Melt remaining butter in the same skillet; reduce heat to low. Stir in 3 tablespoons flour and tomato paste; cook until slightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Increase heat to medium. Add beef stock slowly, stirring constantly, until gravy is thickened and no lumps remain, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Return the beef and mushroom mixture to the skillet with the gravy. Stir in sour cream and sherry; heat until bubbling, about 5 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- Creme fraiche can be substituted for the sour cream.
Per Serving: 496 calories; 34.8 15.5 29.2 140 784 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 10
By far one of the better Beef Stroganoff recipes we have tried. I enjoyed making it, and while it is a bit labor intensive, it is still a relatively quick and deeply satisfying meal. Next time ...
I followed the recipe as written, but I used NY steaks because that’s what we had in our freezer.
I've always made it this way. I don't usually have Sherry, so I sometimes use a dry red wine and some Worcestershire. I never use cooking wine or cooking Sherry though.
I did not make any changes, we will see what all of my in laws think of the recipe after dinner.
Easy and simple. Was so great my wife ate left overs while I was at work.
Very good . I did the recipe exactly the way the recipe was. It turn out very delicious I served it over egg noodles. Thanks.
The kids loved this, however I did not have sherry, so I used 1/2 cup of beer. It still worked well. Will definitely make this again.
Wonderfully creamy and delicious. A favorite go too when the wind is howling and the snow is blowing!