Oeufs Cocotte (Baked Eggs)
Ingredients25 m servings 447 cals
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Boil water in a kettle.
- Grease a small lidded casserole dish with olive oil. Distribute diced ham over the bottom and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon Gruyere cheese. Pour cream on top and season with a little pepper.
- Crack eggs into the casserole dish one at a time, making sure egg yolks remain intact. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon Gruyere cheese and fresh chives. Season with salt and pepper. Cover casserole dish and place into a roasting pan. Pour in enough boiling water so it reaches about halfway up the casserole dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 9 minutes with the lid on. Uncover and continue baking until the egg whites are just set but the yolks are still runny, 3 to 6 additional minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- My trick for making sure the egg yolks don't break is cracking them into a glass or cup first, then gently sliding them into the casserole dish.
- You can also use Comte cheese instead of Gruyere.
Per Serving: 447 calories; 42.2 g fat; 2.1 g carbohydrates; 15.8 g protein; 294 mg cholesterol; 626 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
These eggs are excellent. They make up for a meal. Just toast a few pieces of bread and you got a hearty meal for the cold months. I however will have to fine tune my cooking times since my yolk...