Mazurek (Polish Easter Cake)
4 made it | 0 reviews |
"This sweet sheet cake is a must in Poland on Easter. It looks beautiful with the flower decoration made out of 2 different colored jams and flaked almonds. [Recipe originally submitted to Allrecipes.pl]"
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 11 m servings 275
Original recipe yields 24 servings
- Combine 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons butter, sugar, and egg in a bowl; beat with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in mashed egg yolks. Add flour, ground almonds, and lemon zest. Knead into a dough. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out 2/3 of the dough on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle the size of the baking sheet. Lay onto the prepared baking sheet. Roll remaining dough into finger-thick rolls. Press dough rolls onto the cake in a diamond-shaped pattern. Brush rolls with beaten egg.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Pour 1/4 cup water into a saucepan. Sprinkle gelatin powder on top. Let stand until softened, about 1 minute. Place over low heat; stir constantly until granules are completely dissolved, about 3 minutes.
- Heat cherry and apricot preserves in 2 small pots over low heat until hot. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve. Mix half of the dissolved gelatin into each flavor. Alternate filling the diamond shapes of the cake with the 2 different flavors. Arrange sliced almonds and candied cherries into flower shapes on top.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- You can also use colored chocolate pieces for the flower decorations.
Per Serving: 275 calories; 15 30.2 6.3 73 17 Full nutrition