Polish Fish with Root Vegetables
made it | 0 reviews |
"A Christmas Eve favorite in Poland (ryba po grecku na wigilijny stól), this layered main dish is made with your preferred white fish and lots of winter vegetables. You can use almost any white fish here, such as cod, haddock, hake, tilapia, etc. [Recipe originally submitted to Allrecipes.pl]"
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 30 m servings 365
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Place eggs and flour in 2 shallow bowls. Season eggs with salt and pepper. Dip fish pieces first in the beaten eggs, then dredge in the flour.
- Heat 3/4 cup vegetable oil in a deep skillet over medium heat until hot. Add fish in batches and fry on both sides until golden, 5 to 8 minutes per batch. Remove fish from skillet and set aside.
- Heat remaining 1/4 cup oil in a separate skillet and cook onions until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add carrots, parsnip, and celeriac; mix well. Add water and season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer on low heat until vegetables are soft, about 30 minutes. Check and add more water if mixture becomes too dry. Stir in tomato paste and simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Layer vegetables and fried fish in a 10-inch round serving dish, starting and ending with vegetables.
- Editor's Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 365 calories; 17.2 26.2 26.6 115 220 Full nutrition