Homemade Chocolate Eclairs
made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 50 m servings 417 cals
Original recipe yields 12 servings (12 eclairs)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Butter a baking sheet.
- Heat 3/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons water, 8 1/2 tablespoons butter, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil; turn off the heat and sift in flour. Beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until mixture is well combined and leaves the sides of the pan.
- Cool the mixture to room temperature, about 10 minutes. Crack in eggs, 1 at a time, stirring gradually into a smooth dough. Lift the spoon to check the consistency; dough should slide gradually back into the bowl.
- Fit a piping bag with a coupler and 3/4-inch round nozzle. Drop piping bag, nozzle-down, into a tall glass and fold edges down around the glass. Spoon dough into the bag. Gather edges and twist together.
- Pipe dough into 5-inch-long logs onto the prepared baking sheet. Press logs down with wet fingers if any peaks form.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden and firm, 30 to 35 minutes. Let eclairs cool on a wire rack while preparing the topping and filling.
- Place chocolate and 1/4 cup butter in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Stir frequently, scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula to avoid scorching, until chocolate is melted, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Beat cream in a chilled glass or metal bowl using an electric mixer until frothy. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla extract gradually, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form. Fill a clean piping bag with the whipped cream.
- Use a paring knife to cut an X in either end of each eclair. Pipe a portion of the whipped cream into one end of each eclair until it starts to ooze out the other side. Dip the top halves in melted chocolate-butter mixture. Refrigerate eclairs until filling hardens, about 30 minutes.
Per Serving: 417 calories; 28.9 g fat; 36.9 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 141 mg cholesterol; 136 mg sodium. Full nutrition