Homemade Vegan Coconut Yogurt
made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients16 h 30 m servings 400 cals
Original recipe yields 4 servings (1 quart)
- Whisk coconut milk in a large, heavy saucepan until smooth. Sprinkle agar-agar flakes on top. Let sit, undisturbed, until flakes are rehydrated, about 5 minutes.
- Heat the milk gently over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until a thermometer inserted into the center reads 180 degrees F (82 degrees C). Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until agar-agar is fully dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the stovetop. Let milk cool, stirring occasionally, until it reaches 115 degrees F (46 degrees C). Speed up the cooling process by placing the saucepan in an ice water bath; stir continually until it reaches the correct temperature.
- Open the probiotic capsules and sprinkle the powder over the milk. Discard capsules. Stir in sugar until dissolved.
- Transfer the yogurt mixture to sterilized glass jars and cover with lids, or leave in the saucepan and cover. Let sit in a warm place, about 110 degrees F (43 degrees C), until thickened to desired consistency, 12 to 24 hours.
- Chill yogurt in the refrigerator until set, 4 to 6 hours.
- Cook's Notes:
- Use 1 3/4 cups any non-dairy milk you prefer.
- Substitute 2 tablespoons tapioca starch for the agar-agar, if desired. If using tapioca starch, create a slurry by combining 1/2 cup milk and tapioca starch in a separate small bowl. Mix until smooth, then add the mixture back to the saucepan of milk.
- You can substitute 1 teaspoon probiotic powder for the 4 capsules.
- Incubate yogurt in a gas oven with just the pilot light on, or in an insulated cooler surrounded by warm water. Or, place the yogurt jars in your slow cooker or Instant Pot® and fill it with warm water. Depending on your environment temperature, culture strength, and other factors, incubation could take 12 to 24 hours.
Per Serving: 400 calories; 41.8 g fat; 9 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 26 mg sodium. Full nutrition