Ingredients12 h 20 m servings 156
- Place milk in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Heat, stirring often, until a thermometer inserted into the milk reads 180 degrees F (82 degrees C). Turn off heat and let milk cool, stirring often, to 115 degrees F (46 degrees C).
- Pour about 1 cup of warm milk from the saucepan into a bowl and whisk in yogurt. Pour this mixture back into the saucepan and stir to combine. Ladle the liquid yogurt into clean glass jars and cover loosely with lids.
- Place the jars in a warm spot in your kitchen, wrapped in a towel if your kitchen is breezy. Let incubate until yogurt thickens, 12 to 24 hours.
- Move the jars to a refrigerator to cool.
- Cook's Notes:
- Countertop or oven option: Cover and place the saucepan of liquid yogurt in a warm spot in your kitchen or in a gas oven with just the pilot light on. The time it takes to incubate depends on your environment temperature, culture strength, and other factors.
- Slow cooker or Instant Pot® option: To speed up the process, place jars of liquid yogurt in your slow cooker or Instant Pot® and fill it with warm water. Set the device to Warm and let the yogurt sit until set, around 4 to 6 hours. You can also incubate the jars in an insulated cooler surrounded by warm water.
- To make Greek yogurt, place yogurt in a strainer lined with several layers of cheesecloth, over a bowl or in the sink. Let drip for 30 minutes to several hours, until it reaches the perfect consistency for your tastes.
Per Serving: 156 calories; 8.4 11.7 8.4 26 105 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
This is a perfect recipe and it makes great yogurt. Yes, I do make one little change in mine. I add 1 cup of dry milk powder, either whole milk powder or low fat milk powder. I've been using thi...
This is the exact recipe my grandma and mom used, and it was always a huge hit. Thanks for sharing.
Super simple and made great yogurt. I did use a yogurt maker so that I didn't have to regulate the temperature for 12 hours. Yogurt turned out super creamy and not too tart - just the way I li...
We made it exactly as stated, and it turned out great!