made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients3 h 4 m servings 326 cals
Original recipe yields 20 servings (20 semlor)
- Mix flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl.
- Combine warm milk and melted butter in a bowl. Add yeast and stir until completely dissolved. Mix in eggs and cardamom. Stir in flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Cover with a clean towel and let rise for 1 hour.
- Punch dough down gently and divide into 20 pieces; shape into balls. Arrange balls on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Cover with a towel and let rise for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Bake until golden brown, about 14 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool, about 20 minutes.
- Cut 1/2 inch off the top of each bun to make a 'lid.' Scoop out the core of the bun gently with a fork. Repeat with remaining buns, setting tops aside and placing cores in a large bowl.
- Pour some milk over the cores to moisten. Mix in almond paste until smooth. Continue adding small amounts of milk until filling resembles a thick pudding. Spoon almond paste filling into the center of the buns.
- Combine heavy cream and 2 tablespoons sugar in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Top buns generously with whipped cream and place 'lids' on top. Use a sifter to dust tops with confectioners' sugar.
- Cook's Notes:
- Use cream to moisten the bread center for a richer almond paste filling.
- If almond paste is not available in your area, marzipan works just as well although a little sweeter with less almond taste.
Per Serving: 326 calories; 18.1 g fat; 36.3 g carbohydrates; 5.5 g protein; 68 mg cholesterol; 231 mg sodium. Full nutrition