Polish Babka Cake
"This traditional Polish babka is a cake perfect to enjoy with an afternoon cup of tea or coffee. My version is made without yeast. It's a moist and dense cake flavored with hints of vanilla, almond, and lemon. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. [Recipe originally submitted to Allrecipes.pl]"
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients50 m servings 317 cals
Original recipe yields 12 servings (1 9-inch tube cake)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Sift all-purpose flour and baking powder into a bowl. Stir in potato starch.
- Beat 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter in a bowl using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla sugar; beat until just combined. Add egg yolks and sour cream; mix well. Whisk lemon zest, lemon juice, and almond extract into the batter.
- Beat egg whites in a glass, metal, or ceramic bowl using clean beaters until stiff peaks form.
- Beat flour mixture into the batter until no dry spots remain. Gently fold in raisins and egg whites until evenly incorporated.
- Liberally grease a 6-cup Bundt(R) cake pan (approximately 8 inches in diameter) with 1 1/2 tablespoons butter. Sprinkle evenly with bread crumbs. Spoon batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes. Cool slightly before inverting cake onto a serving plate.
- Cook's Note:
- Note that potato starch is not the same as potato flour, though sometimes potato starch is erroneously labeled as potato flour. Make sure what you buy is a refined, white powder, as true potato flour is made from the entire potato, including the skin, and is less refined.
Per Serving: 317 calories; 17.6 g fat; 36.5 g carbohydrates; 4.1 g protein; 103 mg cholesterol; 132 mg sodium. Full nutrition
How can I make my cakes moist?
Why do my cakes fall?
My cakes do not rise evenly – they are tall in the middle, and slope down to the sides. What am I doing wrong?
Ask Your Question
ReviewsRead all reviews 1