Seedy Sprouted Wheat Berry Rolls
0 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients3 d 3 h 40 m servings 172
Original recipe yields 16 servings (16 rolls)
- Wash wheat berries well. Place in a bowl and fill with water. Cover loosely and let soak until wheat berries swell, 6 hours to overnight. Drain and rinse.
- Divide wheat berries among 3 to 4 clean jars. Cover each with 2 layers of cheesecloth. Fasten with a rubber band. Rinse the wheat berries once a day with lukewarm water. Let soak in a dark, warm place, until grain is sprouted, about 3 days.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spread flax seeds, sesame seeds, and poppy seeds onto a baking sheet.
- Toast in the preheated oven until seeds start to turn golden brown and become fragrant, about 4 minutes.
- Reserve 1 cup sprouted wheat berries. Place remaining wheat berries, flax seeds, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, bread flour, whey, whole wheat flour, oil, maple syrup, molasses, gluten, yeast, and salt in a bread machine in the order listed by the manufacturer. Add the reserved 1 cup sprouted wheat berries when the machine beeps to alert you to add ingredients. Run Dough cycle, about 1 hour 45 minutes. Let rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat a pizza stone in the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Divide dough into 16 balls. Knead and shape into flattened circles and place on parchment paper. Cover and let rolls rise in a warm place until doubled into volume, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Lift parchment paper to transfer rolls onto the preheated pizza stone. Reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Bake in the preheated oven until tops are golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Whey is the byproduct of straining homemade yogurt to make Greek yogurt. If you are not a yogurt maker, just use water instead.
- You can replace the bread flour with all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons gluten.
- Use any variety of seeds you like, for 3/4 cup total (sesame, poppy, sunflower, pumpkin, flax, etc.).
Per Serving: 172 calories; 6.2 26 5.6 < 1 161 Full nutrition