Restaurant-Style Tofu Lettuce Wraps
made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 d 3 h 55 m servings 292
Original recipe yields 8 servings (16 lettuce wraps)
- Place tofu in an airtight container and freeze for 24 hours. Remove from container and thaw, at least 3 hours. Squeeze out excess moisture with your hands or place tofu on paper towels and lay a heavy cutting board on top.
- Whisk 1/4 cup soy sauce, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar, and sherry together in a bowl to make the cooking sauce.
- Whisk water, white sugar, 3 tablespoons soy sauce, hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar, and chile-garlic sauce together in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch at a time and whisk until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Store special sauce in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Chop tofu roughly into small pieces. Heat 1 teaspoon sesame oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add tofu when oil is hot; stir-fry until tofu is browned, about 5 minutes. Set tofu aside in a bowl.
- Heat remaining sesame oil in the skillet over high heat. Saute onion and garlic until browned and any excess liquid is absorbed, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, water chestnuts, and bamboo shoots. Cook over medium-high heat until any excess liquid is absorbed, 2 to 3 minutes. Add cooking sauce to the skillet and stir. Add tofu to the skillet. Cook until sauce is thickened and all vegetables are tender, 2 to 3 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Place radicchio, bean sprouts, noodles, peanuts, carrot, and green onions in individual bowls. Place tofu mixture in a serving bowl. Arrange lettuce leaves on a large plate. Put special sauce in a serving bowl with a spoon. Assemble by placing 2 to 3 lettuce leaves on a plate, topping with tofu and garnishes, and drizzling the special sauce on top.
- Cook's Notes:
- Try chile-flavored sesame oil if you like it spicy.
- You can use the same amount of fresh mushrooms in place of canned, if you prefer. Shiitakes mixed with creminis are great.
- Use Bibb lettuce in place of romaine, if you prefer.
Per Serving: 292 calories; 10.2 41.6 13.3 < 1 1284 Full nutrition