Big-Batch Turkey-Lentil Joes
"Perfect for feeding a crowd or freezing for later, this recipe makes enough for 12 hearty sandwiches-or about 7 cups of soul-satisfying chili if you prefer to skip the buns. Serve on hamburger buns with red onion and pickle chips."
Featured in Allrecipes Magazine — Subscribe!
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h servings 196 cals
Original recipe yields 12 servings (6 3/4 cups)
- Bring broth to a boil in a Dutch oven. Stir in lentils; return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain in a colander.
- Heat oil in the Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and carrot; cook until tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Add turkey and garlic; cook, stirring to break up lumps, until turkey is browned. Drain any grease.
- Stir in tomatoes, olives, chili powder, tomato paste, and vinegar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes. Stir in cooked lentils; cook until heated through, about 2 minutes more.
- Cook's Note:
- To freeze: Cool completely, then divide evenly into 2 generous 3-cup portions, each enough for 6 sandwiches. Transfer each to a resealable plastic freezer bag; seal, label, and freeze up to 6 months. To serve, thaw 1 portion in fridge overnight. Transfer to a medium saucepan; cook, covered, over medium- low heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Editor's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of chicken broth. The actual amount of broth consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 196 calories; 5.4 g fat; 21.9 g carbohydrates; 16.3 g protein; 29 mg cholesterol; 275 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1