Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients10 h 35 m servings 372
Original recipe yields 6 servings (1 pot of soup )
- Put mayocoba beans into a large container with enough cool water to cover by several inches. Let beans soak 8 hours to overnight.
- Drain and rinse beans thoroughly; put into a large stockpot. Add enough water to cover beans by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cover the pot. Simmer until beans are soft in the center, about 90 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and serrano pepper; simmer until softened slightly, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking until liquid begins to thicken, about 10 minutes more. Season tomato mixture with salt and remove from heat.
- Heat remaining oil in another large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken meat and cook, stirring occasionally, until evenly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the tomato mixture and simmer 10 minutes. Pour in chicken stock. Bring soup to a boil and simmer until flavors combine, 15 minutes more. Stir into the pot of beans. Add cilantro and salt. Bring to a simmer and cook until beans are completely softened, about 30 minutes more.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- If you can't find mayocoba beans, you can substitute with pinto or navy beans.
Per Serving: 372 calories; 6.1 52.4 26.5 25 539 Full nutrition