Easy Mexican Tortilla Soup
0 made it | 0 reviews |
"This easy Mexican tortilla soup features fried tortilla strips in a tomato-based broth seasoned with pasilla chiles. Delicious served as tradition dictates: with panela cheese and avocado."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients55 m servings 271
Original recipe yields 8 servings (8 cups)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cut tortillas in half and slice crosswise into 1/8-inch strips. Place in a bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon oil until fully coated. Arrange tortilla strips in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until crisp and light brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool.
- Heat remaining oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add pasilla chiles; cook and stir until light brown, about 4 minutes. Transfer chiles to a plate. Add onion to the saucepan; cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes; cook until soft, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Return chiles to the pan; add mint and oregano. Simmer until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Pour in chicken broth, increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Add chicken bouillon; reduce heat and simmer until flavors meld, about 10 minutes more. Discard mint and oregano. Garnish with the tortilla strips, avocados, and queso fresco.
Per Serving: 271 calories; 16.9 24.5 8.2 14 1112 Full nutrition