Homemade Greek Yogurt In Your Slow Cooker
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients14 h 5 m servings 262
Original recipe yields 4 servings (2 cups)
- Pour milk into a slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low until hot, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Unplug slow cooker; keep lid on. Wrap slow cooker completely in a large, thick beach towel for insulation. Let sit for 3 to 4 hours.
- Whisk plain yogurt together with 1 cup of hot milk from the slow cooker in a bowl. Return mixture to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Rewrap slow cooker with the towel. Allow to sit at least 8 hours to overnight.
- Line a large colander with 4 layers of cheesecloth and place over a bowl. Ladle yogurt into the colander; let whey drain into the bowl below. Let sit for 30 minutes, so the yogurt comes out quite dry. Store yogurt in a covered container in the refrigerator for 7 to 10 days.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- You can use flattened, basket-shaped coffee filters in place of cheesecloth.
- If you'd like, you can save the whey for another purpose, like homemade ricotta cheese.
Per Serving: 262 calories; 10 24.9 17.6 41 220 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
First time making Greek yogurt and this turned out pretty good in the end but was runny as written. It needs more than 30 minutes to drain. I recommend letting it drain in the refrigerator overn...