Homemade Yogurt in the Oven
Ingredients7 h 10 m servings 125
- Turn a self-cleaning oven on for 10 minutes at the lowest temperature, about 170 degrees F (77 degrees C). Turn the oven off and keep door closed to gently heat the oven walls, about 50 minutes.
- Pour milk into a heavy pot over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until an instant-read thermometer registers 185 degrees F (85 degrees C), about 15 minutes. Let cool to 115 degrees F (46 degrees C).
- Mix 1 cup of cooled milk and yogurt together in a bowl until incorporated. Pour back into the pot of milk and stir to combine. Ladle the milk mixture into 5 very clean glass canning jars and screw on the lids.
- Place the filled jars into the warm oven; leave the oven off and turn the oven light on. Leave the jars inside the closed oven for 6 hours. Remove the jars without shaking and place in the refrigerator until thickened, about 2 hours. Store in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
- Cook's Notes:
- If you prefer, you can use 1 gallon of 2% milk plus 1/2 cup powdered milk in place of the whole milk.
- To actively cool the milk in Step 2, fill the sink with cold water and set the pot in the water.
Per Serving: 125 calories; 6.5 9.7 6.9 20 87 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
I strain the yogurt for about 2 days and this makes the perfect, thick and creamy Greek s Yogurt. Perfect batch each time.
I love this recipe! It is yummy and so easy. I do not have a self cleaning oven, but with some accommodations this recipe works wonderfully in my non self cleaning oven. When I heat and then cal...