Homemade Honey Greek Yogurt
made it | 0 reviews |
"There is no comparison between the delicate, mild flavor of homemade yogurt and what comes in a grocery tub. This recipe makes a versatile, slightly honeyed, thick, creamy, and delicious Greek yogurt with no special tools or machines. This batch of yogurt can be frozen into small portions before straining to act as the 'starter' for following batches of yogurt."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients11 h 20 m servings 275
Original recipe yields 8 servings (1 quart yogurt)
- Heat 2 quarts milk in a saucepan over medium heat until a candy thermometer inserted in the liquid reads between 180 and 190 degrees F (82 to 88 degrees C), 8 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Whisk powdered milk and honey into the warm milk. Let cool until the thermometer reads between 115 and 120 degrees F (46 to 49 degrees C), about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Whisk a small portion of the warm milk mixture into the yogurt; stir mixture back into the saucepan. Transfer mixture into a warm slow cooker. Wrap slow cooker in a bath towel and tuck it away into a microwave or oven. Let sit until thickened into yogurt, 6 to 9 hours.
- Line a colander with cheesecloth or coffee filters and set over a bowl. Pour the yogurt into the colander and refrigerate colander and bowl until desired consistency is reached, 4 to 8 hours.
- Cook's Notes:
- Milk of any fat content can be used.
- The powdered milk is optional but makes the yogurt thicker.
Per Serving: 275 calories; 9.3 36.1 13.1 36 171 Full nutrition