Russian Poppy Seed Roll
1 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 40 m servings 448
Original recipe yields 16 servings (16 rolls)
- Combine warm milk, yeast, and 1 teaspoon sugar in a large bowl; stir well. Let stand until yeast softens and begins to form a bubbly foam, about 5 minutes.
- Stir 1/2 cup sugar and lemon zest into the yeast mixture. Whisk in 2 eggs and egg yolks, 1 at time, mixing well after each addition. Add salt. Stir in flour gradually. Add melted butter and blend well. Knead dough until glossy and elastic, about 10 minutes. Form into a ball and place in a large, lightly-oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover with a clean towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Place poppy seeds in a small pot and cover with 1 cup milk or more as needed. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat and let sit, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain milk. Pulse poppy seeds in a food processor, or leave them as is. Add raisins, egg whites, honey, 1/4 cup sugar, walnuts, and 3 1/2 tablespoons butter to poppy seeds and stir to combine for the filling.
- Punch down dough, turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead briefly. Divide dough in half and roll one portion into a 10-inch sheet. Cover with 1/2 the filling, leaving a 1/4- to 1/2-inch edge. Roll up into a log. Repeat with the second half.
- Arrange both rolls onto a greased baking sheet. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise until doubled in volume, about 30 minutes more.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Whisk remaining egg with 1 tablespoon water; brush mixture over tops of rolls.
- Bake rolls in the preheated oven until golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- You can use 1/4 cup fresh yeast instead of the dried yeast, if liked.
- Any kind of nuts will do.
Per Serving: 448 calories; 18.9 60 11.7 83 77 Full nutrition