Russian Apple Cake
made it | 0 reviews |
"In Russia people use tvorog for the pastry, but you can substitute it with farmer's cheese or even ricotta. It is filled with a delicious apple-sour cream mixture, making a delicious cross between apple cake and pie. A Russian favorite that is well worth trying!"
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 30 m servings 286
Original recipe yields 10 servings (1 9-inch cake)
- Combine farmer's cheese, melted butter, and milk in a bowl and stir until smooth.
- Mix 1 3/4 cups flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, and baking powder in a separate bowl. Add to the ricotta mixture. Mix until pastry dough comes together. Refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.
- Beat 1/2 cup sugar and eggs together in a bowl using an electric mixer until thickened. Add sour cream, 2 tablespoons flour, and vanilla extract; stir until filling is well combined.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 9-inch springform cake pan.
- Press the chilled pastry into the bottom and sides of the cake pan. Add 1/2 the apples; top with 1/2 of the filling. Repeat layering, ending with the filling.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Remove and let cool in pan.
- Cook's Note:
- This can also be baked in a deep pie plate.
Per Serving: 286 calories; 11.4 40.3 6.5 63 98 Full nutrition