Arepas de Huevos
made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients35 m servings 2108 cals
Original recipe yields 4 servings (4 arepas de huevos)
- Mix corn meal, salt, and sugar together in a bowl. Add hot water and mix with your hands until a dough forms. Roll into a ball and let rest, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Fill a pot with about 4 inches of oil and heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Divide dough into 4 equal-sized balls. Set aside a small amount of dough for repairing holes after cooking. Place a dough ball onto a sheet of plastic wrap and place a second sheet of plastic wrap on top. Use a pan or plate to flatten the dough into a 1/4-inch thick round. Smooth edges of area with your fingers. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place the arepas carefully into the hot oil and fry until puffed, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Remove arepas from the oil and drain on paper towels until cool until safe to handle.
- Cut a 3-inch hole near the edge of an arepa. Crack an egg into a small glass and carefully pour it into the hole in the arepa. Repair the hole quickly using reserved dough. Return the arepa to the oil and fry until egg is no longer runny, 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining arepas. Let cool briefly.
- Cook's Note:
- When cutting the hole, make sure the knife stays inside the arepa so the egg doesn't leak out. If the arepa hasn't puffed up completely, you can use the knife to open it up a bit more. You want enough space to pour the egg into. If it appears like you won't have enough time to repair the hole after adding the egg, you can place the arepa into the oil on edge (with the hole facing up) to let the egg set a bit before letting it completely submerge.
- Editor's Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 2108 calories; 225.3 g fat; 20.9 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 186 mg cholesterol; 362 mg sodium. Full nutrition