Ingredients5 h 32 m servings 296
- Place beans in a large pot; cover with 2 inches water. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 1 to 2 hours. Drain and rinse. Transfer beans to another container.
- Combine ham bone and 8 cups water in a large saucepan. Simmer over medium-low heat until remaining meat falls off the bone, about 2 hours. Remove and discard bone. Use a slotted spoon to transfer meat to a bowl.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add celery and onion; cook and stir until onion is translucent, 7 to 10 minutes. Add cooked ham bone meat, lima beans, and diced ham. Reduce heat and simmer, adding additional water as needed, until soup is thickened to desired consistency, about 90 minutes.
- Stir carrots, salt, pepper, and parsley into the soup. Let simmer until carrots are soft, about 30 minutes more.
- Cook's Notes:
- You can also soak the beans overnight.
- If you don't have a ham bone, you can also use 1/2 pound bacon or salt pork. Add the bacon or pork to the pan over medium heat, and let cook for a few minutes. Add onions and celery and stir-fry for 7 to 10 minutes, until onions are translucent and bacon is cooked.
Per Serving: 296 calories; 7.5 40.5 17.9 16 710 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
Step 2 says, Combine ham bone and 8 cups water in a large saucepan. Simmer over medium-low heat until remaining meat falls off the bone, about 2 hours. Remove and discard bone. Use a slotted spo...
I've also added some bacon drippings to this recipe, very hearty and satisfying on a winter day.
It was wonderful, and tasted like how my mom used to make it (can't find that recipe). It was a big hit with my wife and kids. Couldn't find a butcher who had a ham bone - so I used ham hocks ...