Ingredients9 h 42 m servings 322
- Combine water, 1/2 pound baby carrots, celery, tomato, quartered onion, ham bone, 3 cloves garlic, and bay leaves in a large stockpot. Bring stock to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 3 hours.
- Remove 1 1/2 to 2 cups of the ham meat from the bone, dice, and set aside for use in the soup. Pour stock through a strainer and discard solids. Transfer stock to a covered container and refrigerate until fat rises to the top and solidifies, 1 to 3 hours.
- Skim off fat and pour stock into a slow cooker.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and add sliced baby carrots, red onion, and 3 cloves diced garlic. Cook and stir until browned, 7 to 8 minutes. Pour wine into the pan and bring to a boil while scraping the browned bits of food off of the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Add to the slow cooker.
- Rinse and drain split peas and add to the slow cooker. Add reserved ham meat, potatoes, sazon seasoning, black pepper, and salt. Stir. Cook on High until soup is thickened, 5 to 6 hours.
- Transfer about 1/3 of the soup to a blender. Cover and hold lid down with a potholder; pulse a few times before leaving on to blend. Return puree to the slow cooker and stir.
Per Serving: 322 calories; 2.4 55.7 16.5 4 1637 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
I looked up a homemade version of the sazon seasoning and it was really good! I used chicken stock made with herbs and white wine to make the ham stock and added a bit of winr to the soup as wel...
yum, I only used 2 packets from the 1.41 oz box. that seemed more appropriate. Will make again
Very good- did not use wine but did everything else and enjoyed it very much.