Ground Turkey Burritos That Will Fool Your Kids
"Great burritos that your kids will eat and ask for more. Ground turkey, crushed tomatoes, rice, onions, garlic, and celery wrapped in red cabbage within a white tortilla shell. We go to a lot of evening swim meets and our kids love them. If we told them what was inside they would say Eww! Without cheese, this is a lighter dinner alternative on the go."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 20 m servings 401 cals
Original recipe yields 12 servings (12 burritos)
- Bring water and brown rice to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Cut off the stem of the red cabbage. Peel leaves off gently, being careful not to tear. Place individual leaves gently into a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes; reduce heat and simmer until tender but still crunchy and red, 8 to 10 minutes more. Drain.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion, celery, and garlic until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Mix in turkey meat and season with salt. Cook and stir until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes and cooked rice. Cook, stirring occasionally, until flavors combine, 10 to 15 minutes more.
- Place 1 cabbage leaf on top of each tortilla. Fill with the turkey-rice mixture. Fold the bottom end up and roll into a tight burrito.
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat. Add burritos in batches; cook, flipping as necessary, until outsides are crunchy, about 5 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- It's your choice to add more vegetables as you like (peppers, shallots, mushrooms...).
- Use any rice of your choice.
- If you are in a hurry, you may add the rice to the rest of the ingredients before it is completely done as long as it continues to cook for another 10 to 20 minutes, covered.
- You can grill them and freeze them, microwave for about 3 minutes, and you are ready to go. We do it all the time.
Per Serving: 401 calories; 13.4 g fat; 55.1 g carbohydrates; 15.9 g protein; 28 mg cholesterol; 542 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1