Navy Bean and Ham Hock Soup
6 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients7 h 40 m servings 413
Original recipe yields 12 servings (1 pot of soup)
- Rinse and sort the navy beans. Place in a Dutch oven with 8 cups water. Bring to a boil for 2 minutes and remove from heat. Let stand, covered, until beans are softened, about 5 hours.
- Drain the navy beans and discard the soaking liquid. Rinse beans and return to the Dutch oven. Add ham hocks, chicken broth, 4 cups water, onion, parsley, garlic powder, basil, black pepper, oregano, nutmeg, and bay leaves. Bring soup to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until beans are tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Mix carrots, celery, and potato flakes into the soup until well combined. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes more.
- Take ham hocks from the pot and place on a cutting board until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from the bones and cut into bite-sized pieces. Return meat to the pot and warm through over medium heat, about 3 minutes.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- Substitute hickory ham bones with some meat for the ham hocks if desired.
Per Serving: 413 calories; 20.7 30.1 26.4 66 127 Full nutrition