Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients9 h 55 m servings 555 cals
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Place kidney beans in a bowl with water to cover. Soak 8 hours to overnight. Drain.
- Combine soaked beans, ham hocks, and broth in a large stockpot over medium-low heat. Simmer until beans are tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Stir sweet potatoes, potatoes, onion, carrots, scallions, Scotch bonnet pepper, garlic, thyme, salt, and black pepper into the stockpot. Let simmer until vegetables are soft, 30 to 45 minutes more. Add coconut milk; simmer soup until flavors are mingled, about 10 minutes more.
- Remove ham hocks and puree soup with a stick blender.
- Cook's Notes:
- To save time you can just use 2 cans of kidney beans with their liquid.
- Substitute water for the chicken broth, if needed.
Per Serving: 555 calories; 23.6 g fat; 59.5 g carbohydrates; 28.6 g protein; 42 mg cholesterol; 1092 mg sodium. Full nutrition