Modern Thanksgiving Leftover Turkey Pot Pie
made it | 0 reviews |
"This was a twist on my favorite chicken pot pie dish. I found that I could utilize the leftover turkey meat and I used the stuffing on the side as an added touch. I have also used a side salad with this same recipe in the past, and it makes for a lighter meal after all those carbs on the big Thanksgiving day meal. I found this makes a nice brunch side dish. Serve with a big spoon. If desired, garnish each serving with parsley."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 8 m servings 347 cals
Original recipe yields 8 servings (1 9-inch round pie)
- Heat oil and garlic in a skillet over low heat until sizzling, about 2 minutes. Add onion and bacon. Cook, stirring often, until bacon is golden brown and fat is released, about 7 minutes. Remove and discard garlic and add mushrooms; cook and stir until browned and slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Combine flour, thyme, paprika, 2 pinches salt, and 1 pinch of pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Add turkey, seal, and shake well to coat.
- Melt butter in the skillet with the mushrooms over medium heat. Add coated turkey and any remaining flour mixture. Cook and stir until turkey is golden and flour is browned, about 4 minutes. Pour in stock, Marsala wine, and vinegar. Scrape bottom of pan and let simmer until filling is thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and stir in parsley.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Transfer turkey filling into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Beat egg and water together in a bowl to make the egg wash.
- Roll pie crust out on your work surface into desired shape and size. Drape crust over the filling in the pie plate. Cut a few slits or decorative holes on top. Tuck edges around filling and brush crust with the egg wash. Place on a baking sheet to catch any overflow.
- Bake in the preheated oven until crust is browned and filling is bubbling, 20 to 30 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving, at least 10 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- You can substitute pancetta for the bacon, if desired.
- Madeira wine or sherry can be substituted for the Marsala wine.
- Feel free to use 1 sheet of puff pastry in place of pie crust.
- You can make this in an 8-inch baking dish, if desired.
Per Serving: 347 calories; 18.8 g fat; 18.8 g carbohydrates; 23.3 g protein; 82 mg cholesterol; 624 mg sodium. Full nutrition