Homemade Chicken Pot Pies
made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 35 m servings 478
Original recipe yields 24 servings (2 dozen mini pies)
- Place chicken breasts into a large pot and cover with chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, 20 to 25 minutes. Take chicken out of broth; pull apart or chop as desired. Keep broth hot.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter and olive oil in a large Dutch oven or stockpot over medium-high heat. Add potatoes, carrots, corn, celery, peas, and garlic. Saute until onions turn soft and translucent, about 15 minutes. Add 3 teaspoons salt, 2 teaspoons black pepper, rosemary, nutmeg, thyme, and sage. Cook and stir until combined into the vegetable mixture, about 1 minute.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in the vegetable mixture. Sprinkle flour on top. Cook, stirring constantly, until vegetables are coated, about 1 minute. Ladle in the hot chicken broth, 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly, until pot is sufficiently filled; you may not need all of the broth.
- Stir heavy cream into the pot; turn up heat slightly. Add the pulled chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally and scraping the bottom, until flavors blend, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until filling has thickened, about 20 minutes. Let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease two 12-cup muffin tins. Line 2 baking sheets with aluminum foil and set the muffin tins on top.
- Pour filling into the muffin cups.
- Roll puff pastry onto a work surface and smooth it out a bit. Cut into 24 pieces slightly larger than the muffin cups. Place pastry pieces on top of the filling in the muffin cups, letting about 1/4 inch of the pastry hang off the edges. Brush tops of the pot pies with the whipped egg. Season with salt and pepper. Cut some slits for venting.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, 15 to 25 minutes. Let sit for at least 5 minutes before serving.
- Cook's Notes:
- You can use 1 small whole chicken in place of the chicken breasts, if desired.
- Bake the pot pie in any baking pan you want. You could use an 8-inch pan, 9-inch pie plate, small ramekins, or a muffin pan. (I like to make everyone an individual pot pie.)
Per Serving: 478 calories; 35.2 27.3 14 91 503 Full nutrition