Toasted Angel Food Cake with Strawberries
4 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 35 m servings 502
Original recipe yields 12 servings (6 slices)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place 1 3/4 cups sugar in a food processor and blend until superfine, about 2 minutes.
- Sift half the fine sugar, cake flour, and salt together in a bowl.
- Whisk egg whites, water, cream of tartar, and lemon extract together in a large bowl for 2 minutes. Beat in remaining fine sugar using an electric mixer until medium peaks form. Sprinkle some of the flour mixture on top; stir in gently. Repeat with the rest of the flour mixture. Spoon batter carefully into an ungreased fluted tube pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 35 minutes. Invert onto a cooling rack and let cool completely, at least 25 minutes.
- Beat cream cheese and 1/4 cup butter together in a bowl using an electric mixer on medium speed until light and creamy. Add lemon juice; beat until just blended. Gradually mix in all but 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar on low speed until frosting is just blended. Stir in lemon zest.
- Mix 3/4 cup strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries thoroughly in a bowl with 2 tablespoons white sugar.
- Cut a curved, smile-shaped line near the bottom of each whole strawberry; carefully cut another, flatter curve above. Connect the two curves and carve out space between to create the smile. Leave room above the smile and below the leaves for eyeballs.
- Place reserved 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar in a small bowl. Dust hands with sugar and roll a tiny amount of stiff decorator icing between your fingers into a small ball. Place it on the strawberry, above the smile. Make another ball and stick it next to the first one. Stick 1 black sugar pearl onto each frosting ball to create eyes. Repeat with remaining whole strawberries.
- Remove cake carefully from the pan, scraping edges from side if needed. Slice into 6 slices about 2 inches thick. Spread 2 tablespoons butter equally on the outside of the slices.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add a cake slice; toast until lightly browned, about 1 minute per side. Place toasted cake on a plate. Spoon some frosting on top and let it drip down. Spoon sugared berries around the cake and place a smiling strawberry on top. Repeat with remaining cake slices, frosting, and berries.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- Smiling strawberries can be made ahead of time and refrigerated.
- Editor's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of frosting. The actual amount of frosting consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 502 calories; 16 84.9 7.2 46 234 Full nutrition