Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
Ingredients1 h 38 m servings 364
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Butter a baking dish.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until starting to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle flour over onion and whisk together. Cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in half-and-half and milk; whisk until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes more. Remove from heat; season sauce with salt and pepper. Add garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, and paprika.
- Place half the sliced potatoes into the baking dish; top with half the chopped ham. Sprinkle half the Cheddar cheese and half the Monterey Jack cheese on top. Pour in half the sauce from the skillet. Repeat layering the remaining potatoes, ham, cheeses, and sauce, ending with a layer of cheese and sauce. Cover dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until the cheese on top is golden and sauce is bubbling, 20 to 30 minutes more.
- Cook's Note:
- I used a mandoline to slice the potatoes.
Per Serving: 364 calories; 17.9 37.9 14 53 502 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 14
I love loaded scalloped potatoes and have tried a few recipes, and this is the best so far. I still found the sauce pretty bland.
I followed the recipe as written and it turned out great, everyone enjoyed it. It didn't seem like much sauce before baking, I was nervous it would be too dry but it turned out perfect.
I made half the recipe. Honestly, this recipe is excellent as is. The only thing I had to adjust was the liquids because it needed a bit more so the sauce was enough. I didn't have Monterrey jac...
Partially boiled potatoes for less bake time and used cheese like velveeta to make it creamier. Everyone had seconds. Will make again!
Amazing recipe. do yourself a favor and place potatoes in a bowl with kosher salt and microwave (potato setting 3) to par-cook potatoes. This lets the flavors get in better and shortens oven tim...
It tasted good albeit a bit bland. The potatoes were tender and cheesy. The sauce was extremely thick when made as is so I added a bit more milk to thin it a touch. I think next time, I will...
Used leftover spiral ham. Added cayenne pepper for a kick. Didn't have half and half so I increased the butter by a tablespoon, added 2 additional tablespoons of flour. Used 1 1/2 cup of milk. ...
I added french fries onions on the top. It turned out really good