6 made it | 0 reviews |
"The flavorful broth is often traditionally served first, dotted with croutons and sprinkled with Gruyère cheese. The main dish, or 'bouilli' - a platter of boiled meats and mixed vegetables - follows usually with gherkins and a variety of mustards, horseradish, and sauces alongside. The two courses can also be combined into one course. You can serve with more boiled carrots, leeks, parsnips, potatoes, and turnips, as well as boiled cabbage."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients5 h servings 562
Original recipe yields 16 servings
- Pierce each whole onion with a clove. Place onions, 2 leeks, 2 carrots, 3 celery ribs, and garlic in a large pot. Set roast on top of the vegetables. Wrap parsley, thyme, and bay leaves in a moistened piece of cheesecloth and tie into a bundle. Add the cheesecloth bundle, salt, and peppercorns to the pot.
- Pour beef stock over the roast and vegetables. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover partially and simmer, skimming occasionally, until roast is very tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
- Transfer roast to a large bowl and cover. Strain broth, discarding solids, and return it to the pot. Boil over high heat until reduced to 8 cups, about 45 minutes. Skim off the fat.
- Stir remaining 2 leeks, 2 carrots, and 3 ribs celery into the reduced stock. Add turnips, rutabagas, and parsnips. Cover and simmer over low heat until vegetables are just tender, about 30 minutes. Add potatoes. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 40 minutes more. Add sausage; simmer until heated through, 5 to 10 minutes. Season the broth with salt and pepper.
- Slice the roast across the grain into 6 to 8 slices. Ladle the broth into shallow bowls. Plate roast, sausage, and vegetables on a separate platter.
- Cook's Notes:
- Times are rough estimates, depending on your stove, quantities and thickness of vegetables.
- Substitute chicken stock for the beef stock, or use a mixture to cover meat by 6 inches.
- Editor's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of carrots, onions, garlic, and celery. The actual amount consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 562 calories; 32.1 35.4 32.6 90 1161 Full nutrition