Ingredients2 h 45 m servings 425 cals
- Let beef stand at room temperature 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Stir together 2 teaspoons salt, garlic powder, pepper, thyme, and fennel seeds in a small bowl. Put beef, rib side down, on a rack set in a roasting pan. Rub beef with spice mixture.
- Place pan in preheated oven. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part registers at least 135 degrees F for medium-rare, 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 hours, or 150 degrees F for medium, 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 hours. Transfer beef to a cutting board; let stand, covered with foil, about 15 minutes (do not drain pan).
- Meanwhile, boil potatoes and onion in a pot of salted water 10 minutes. Drain, then sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Remove rack from roasting pan, add vegetables, and toss to coat with drippings. Return pan to oven and roast until vegetables are browned and tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Make Dipping Sauce
- Stir together sour cream, horseradish, and chives in a bowl.
Per Serving: 425 calories; 26.1 g fat; 18.8 g carbohydrates; 27.8 g protein; 91 mg cholesterol; 576 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
Just wanted to post a comment about this recipe. I've raised cattle, made my share of rib roasts and am an experienced cook. My only fault with this recipe is if you roast this to 135 degrees, c...
Juli, your recipe IS foolproof and utterly delicious. The only change I made was rubbing the entire roast in garlic butter. Talk about "melt in your mouth"!