Chocolate Chip Crisscross Cookies
"This is my riff on Allrecipes' Best Chocolate Chip Cookies. I turned half the dough into a chocolate dough with white chips, then used a technique from my cookbook, Marbled, Swirled, and Layered, to put the two halves together in a crisscross way. I also sprinkled Maldon® salt on top, which helps cut the sweetness and adds an extra little crunch."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients50 m servings 361
Original recipe yields 18 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Put butter, white sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Cream together with a mixer until butter clings to sides of bowl and is uniform in color, about 2 minutes. Mix in eggs 1 at a time, waiting until first is incorporated before adding second. Add 2 cups flour; mix on low speed until incorporated. (Dough will be very soft.)
- Divide dough roughly in half and transfer one half to a separate bowl. Mix remaining 1/2 cup flour into one half, then stir in semisweet chocolate chips until evenly distributed. Mix cocoa powder into other half, then stir in white chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Roll a tablespoon of each dough into a ball and tap lightly on counter to create a flat bottom (see assembly shots at left). Press flat sides together to form a larger ball, then flatten into a half-dark, half-light disk. Cut disk in half with a knife, cutting perpendicular to dough seam. Flip one half over and then firmly press halves back together. You should have a disk with 4 alternating quarters. Repeat with remaining dough. Transfer to baking sheet, spacing about 2 inches apart. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
- Bake until cookie edges start to turn golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool on sheet 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- Unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa is a darker cocoa that has been acid neutralized. If you can't find it, you can use Hershey's® Special Dark® Cocoa.
- Cookies keep up to 3 days in an airtight container at room temperature, or up to 3 months frozen.
Per Serving: 361 calories; 17.7 49.7 4.3 50 246 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1